All, as per the recent Facebook event posted up highighting an up and coming audax taster ride for members, please see the following details.
The ride is a taster for those wanting to try their hand at long distance cycling. This event is through the umbrella of Audax UK with entrance fees going towards obtaining a Brevet card and third party insurance. The route will start and finish in Chepstow with stops in Abergavenny, Brecon, Builth Wells, Hay and Monmouth. The route is challenging but never too punishing with some absolutely stunning scenery and using mainly back roads. Cost will be £3 for AUK members and £5 for guests.
The ride route is here:
The way to enter is via the AUK website and this ride is in the ‘Permanent Events’ section. Please go to this link for the actual ride details and entry:
PLEASE NOTE that in order to get the Brevet cards to riders in time for the 17th, can all entrants please try to enter (as per the above instructions) by the 7th October (that is to allow the owner of the event time to get the Brevet cards to all those entering in time for the 17th). If you miss that date by a day or 2 it will still probably be ok but be please make every effort to enter by the 7th if at all possible.
Although this ride is under the umbrella of the Audax UK club, it is a permanent ride which means that there are no organisers present to sign you in and out of the ride, it is up to you to start and finish and then send off your completed Brevet card. Dave Hollin, as the event organiser for MonWheelers, will be present and riding the event and so can be contacted for further information as required, either on facebook and obviously will be present at the start of the ride at 07.30 on the 17th October at The Texaco Garage, Newport Road, NP16 5YS
or by email
Although this is a ride for MonWheeler Club members, non members can participate but must be aware that they are wholly responsible for their own safety and well-being on this ride. Audaxes are long distance rides and can often end up with riders finishing at different times to each other so please be aware of this fact, although we will make every effort to stay together as a group for this event. The following is a list of important points but is not exhaustive. For more details please visit the main Audax UK pages for further background information:
– your bike must be in good repair as you are responsible for getting yourself around and you may end up finishing on your own so must be prepared for all eventualities
– you must be reasonably fit and have tried longish rides before, ideally (but not essentially) you should have done at least one 100 mile ride previously (please use your common sense when looking at doing this kind of distance)
– the end of the ride will possibily be in the dark so bring front and rear lights!
– bring money, food and drink for the ride along with sensible clothing for the conditions…its a long way! Also dont forget a spare inner tube (minimum one spare + tyre boot), tyre levers, pump and a multitool as a bare minimum. We will be stopping regularily along the way at cafes and convenience stores so there should be chance to buy food but always bring ‘bonk’ rations!
– be prepared to ride solo for some or even most of the ride, although as this is a club event, the ride leader Dave Hollin will try to keep the riders together on the day
– despite the above caveats, audaxing is a brilliant way to ride long distances and combine fun, food and cameraderie at the same time!
Other audax events will be run in 2016 so if you miss this one, dont worry there will be others so keep an eye on our facebook pages or here on the website
Any questions please ask!